Current Audition News
THERE WILL BE NO LSWO AUDITIONS IN 2020
The LSWO is currently seeking OPEN ACTIVE POSITIONS in:
The LSWO is currently seeking CONCERT SUB POSITIONS in:
ALL INSTRUMENTS WELCOME TO APPLY
NOTE: Regardless of the specific needs of each season, the LSWO accepts all wind band instrumental applicants.
NOTE: If you are already a concert sub and looking to audition for an open active position, please contact Director of Artistic Planning Christopher Tucker before applying.
LSWO Audition Items to Consider
- The final live round auditions for the Lone Star Wind Orchestra are held in early September.
- Information about auditions will be posted early-July with a deadline for first round materials around mid-August.
- Four rehearsals typically precede a concert and primarily fall within a nine (9) day performance window: Saturday morning – Sunday afternoon – Friday evening – Saturday afternoon – Sunday concert.
LSWO Audition Process
Review our mission and vision statements and our guiding principles. Requesting an audition represents your acceptance of the aforementioned.
The Lone Star Wind Orchestra audition process consists of two rounds – an application and materials review followed by a final live audition.
Complete, attach requested files, and submit the LSWO Audition Application Form.
1. Performance Vita (PDF format only; 1 MB max; 2 pages max)
2. Audio Demonstrating Technical Proficiency (*mp3 format only; 2 MB max) / **Percussion: see below
3. Audio Demonstrating Lyrical Proficiency (*mp3 format only; 2 MB max) / **Percussion: see below
*Note: A 2 MB mp3 equates to about 1-1/2 minutes of recorded music. Recorded music must be “unedited” recordings. Your excerpts should not contain etudes. It is suggested that your excerpts consist of solos with piano, orchestra or wind band excerpts.
**Percussion Note: Instead of a technical and lyrical excerpt, one excerpt should be on marimba and the other excerpt on snare drum.
First Round audition application and materials deadline is TBD.
A panel of LSWO musicians and staff will review your materials in August and a decision will be rendered of which applicants were passed through to round two as concert subs and which applicants will be invited to the final live audition round. Passing the first round guarantees a spot on the concert sub list, but it does not guarantee a spot at the final live audition round to vie for an active spot. All applicants will be notified by the end of August via e-mail of the results and any necessary details.
If invited to the final live audition round, you will be given the audition date and time. Each audition will last 10 minutes. Final round audition applicants will be sent a three (3) minute sheet music PDF packet approx. two (2) weeks out of the final round audition date. These materials will need to be prepared for the audition. In addition, you may be asked to sight-read several passages and participate in a question and answer session.
Please, be on time for your appointment. A room will be provided for you to warm-up before your audition.
Final Round auditions are TBD.
You will be notified via E-mail of the results of your final live round audition.